Reading the Glorious Quran daily cleans our hearts, boosts our Imaan and help us getting closer to our Creator through his words.
Following are 100 interesting facts about the Quran some of which I’m sure that most of us never knew before! 🙂 Some are basics which can help the non-muslim readers too. Don’t forget to share or use it for Quran Quizzes!
1) What is the meaning of the word “Qur’an”?
That which is Read
2) Where was the Qur’an revealed first?
In the cave of Hira (Makkah)
3) On which night was the Qur’an first revealed?
Lailatul-Qadr (Night of the Power) in the month of Ramadhan
4) Who revealed the Qur’an?
Allah revealed the Qur’an
5) Through whom was the Qur’an revealed?
Through Angel Jibreel / Gabriel (Alaihis-Salaam)
6) To whom was the Qur’an revealed?
To the last Prophet Muhammed (Sallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
7) Who took the responsibility of keeping the Qur’an safe?
8 ) What are the conditions for holding or touching the Qur’an?
One has to be clean and recommended to be with wudhu (ablution)
9) Which is the book which is read most?
10) What is the topic of the Qur’an?
11) What are the other names of the Qur’an according to the Qur’an itself?
Al-Furqaan, Al-Kitaab, Al-Zikr, Al-Noor, Al-Huda
12) How many Makki Surahs (chapters) are there in the Qur’an?
13) How many Madani Surahs(chapters) are there in the Qur’an?
14) How many Manzils (stages) are there in the Qur’an?
15) How many Paara or Juz (parts) are there in the Qur’an?
16) How many Surahs (chapters) are there in the Qur’an?
17) How many Rukoo (paragraphs) are there in the Qur’an?
18) How many Aayath (verses) are there in the Qur’an?
19) How many times is the word ‘Allah’ repeated in the Qur’an?
20) Which is the only ancient religious text where the language of its revelation (Arabic), including the dialect, is still used today?
21) Who is the first ‘Haafiz’ of the Qur’an?
Prophet Muhammed (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam)
22) At the time of the death of Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) how many Huffaz were there?
23) How many Aayaath (verses) on Sajda (prostation) are there in the Qur’an?
24) In which Surah (chapter) do you find the first verse about Sajda (prostation)?
7th Chapter (Surah-al-Araaf), Verse 206
25) How many times has the Qur’an stressed about Salah (prayer)?
26) How many times has the Qur’an emphasized on alms or charity?
27) How many times in the Qur’an, is the Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed as Yaa-Aiyu-Han-Nabi?
28) Where in the Qur’an has Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) been named ‘Ahmed’?
Surah Saff verse 6 [61:6]
29) How many times has the name of Rasul- ullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) been mentioned in the Qur’an?
Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) -4 times
Ahmed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) -1 time
30) Name the Prophet whose name is mentioned and discussed most in the Qur’an?
Musa (Alahis-Salaam) – mentioned 136 times
31) Who were the Kaathibe-Wahi (copyists of the revelations) of the Qur’an?
Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu),
Usman (Radhiallahu Anhu),
Ali (Radhiallahu Anhu),
Zaid Bin Harith (Radhiallahu Anhu) and
Abdullah bin Masood (Radhiallahu Anhu)
32) Who was the first person who counted the Aayath (verses) of the Qur’an?
Ayesha (Radhiallahu Anha)
33) On whose advice did Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu) decide to compile the Qur’an?
Omar Farooq (Radhiallahu Anhu)
34) On whose order was the Qur’an compiled completely in written form?
Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu)
35) Who confined the recitation of the Qur’an on the style of the Quraysh tribe?
Usman (Radhiallahu Anhu)
36) Out of the copies of the Qur’an compiled by Usman (Radhiallahu Anhu), how many and where are they at present?
Only 2 copies. One in Tashkent and the other in Istanbul.
37) Which Surah of the Qur’an was Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) reciting while praying, that Hazrat Jabeer Bin Muth’im listened to and embraced Islam?
Surah At Tur (52nd Surah)
38) Which was the Surah of the Qur’an which the Prophet Muhammed Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) had recited when one of his enemies Utba after listening to it fell in Sajda (prostation)?
The first five Ayaaths of Ham-Meem-Sajda (Surah 41 – Fussilat)
39) Which is the first and the most ancient Masjid according to the Qur’an?
40) In Qur’an mankind is divided into two groups. What are those two groups?
Believers and disbelievers
41) Who is the man about whom, Allah has said in the Qur’an that his body is kept as an admonishing example for future generations to come?
Fir’aun (Pharaoh) [10: 91-92]
42) Besides the body of Pharaoh, what is that thing which is kept as an admonishing example for future generations to come?
43) After the wreckage of Prophet Noah’s Ark, which is its place of rest mentioned in the Qur’an?
Mountain of Judi [11:44]
44) In the Qur’an the name of which companion of Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is mentioned?
Zaid Bin Harith [33:37]
45) Who is the relative of the Prophet Muahmmed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) whose name is mentioned in the Qur’an?
Abu Lahab [111:1]
46) In the Qur’an there is a mention of a Prophet who has been called by his mother’s name. Who was he?
Jesus [Prophet Isa (Alahis salaam)] is mentioned as Isa Ibn Maryam (Jesus the son of Mary)
47) Which was the agreement that was titled Fath-hum-Mubeen’ without fighting a battle?
Treaty of Hudaibiya.
48) What are the different names used for Satan or Devil in the Qur’an?
Iblees and Ash-Shaitaan.
49) Which category of creature does the Qur’an put ‘Iblees’ into?
50) What were those worships and prayers that were ordered by Allah to the community of Bani Israeel and which were continued by the Muslim Ummah also?
Salaat and Zakaat [2:43]
51) The Qur’an repeatedly warns of a certain day. Can you say which day it is?
Yamul Qiyamah (Day of Judgment)
52) Who were those people with whom Allah was pleased and they were pleased with Him, as mentioned in the Qur’an?
Companions of Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) [9:100]
53) Which Surah is regarded as the Heart of the Quran?
Surah Yaseen (chapter 36)
54) In which year were the vowels inserted in the Qur’an?
55) Who were the first serious students of the Qur’an?
56) Which is the first Residential University where the faculty of the Qur’an was established for the first time?
Masjid-e-Nabuwi [Masjid of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam]
57) By what name did the Qur’an address those noble and pious people who were selected by Allah to convey His message to mankind?
Nabi (Prophet) and Rasul (Messenger)
58) What type of a person does the Qur’an want to make?
Mu’min (Believer) [Every Mumin is a Muslim but every Muslim is not necessarily a Mumin. By the term Mumin a person who has firm inner belief is meant and by the term Muslim we mean a submitter, i.e. someone who resigns His will to Allah, who agrees that there is Allah and He has given guidance to mankind. However he may not be practising those rules in his life, e.g. he is drinking alcohol, dating, earning by illegitimate means etc, but verbally says and knows all this is wrong. He merely surrenders. This is the first stage. But when a person becomes a Mumin or a convinced believer, then this is the stage where he moves from initial submission. He also starts acting on the rules and practices the laws of Allah in his life. He is aMuslim i.e. a submitter as well as a Mumin i.e. convinced believer and an actor. A Muslim who does not act on the rules is however on the first stage, and Imaan has not entered his heart. This will happen when he starts practising the rules.] (source)
59) What is the scale or measure of one’s dignity according to the Qur’an?
60) What according to the Qur’an is the root cause of the evil?
61) Where in the Quran water is pointed out as the origin of all life?
Surat Al-Anbya verse 30 [21:30]
62) Which is the longest Surah (Chapter) in the Qur’an?
Surah-al-Baqarah (chapter 2)
63) Which is the smallest Surah in the Qur’an?
Surah-al-Kausar (chapter 108)
64) What was the age of Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) when Qur’anwas first revealed to him through Jibraeel (Alaihis-salaam)?
65) How long did Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) receive the revelation of the Qur’an in Makkah?
66) How long did Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) receive the revelation of the Qur’an in Madinah?
67) Where was the first Surah revealed?
68) Where was the last Surah revealed?
69) How many years did it take for the complete revelation of the Qur’an?
70) Which Surah (chapter) of the Qur’an is to be read compulsorily in each raka’at of the Salah (Prayer)?
71) Which is the Surah, which Allah taught as a Du’a (Prayer)?
72) What is the reason of keeping Surah-al-Fatihah in the beginning of the Qur’an?
It is the door to the Qur’an
73) What is the Surah (Chapter) revealed completely and found first place in the Qur’an?
74) Who was the only lady whose personal name is found in the Qur’an?
Maryam [Mary] (Alaihis-salaam)
75) In which Surah (Chapter) of the Qur’an do you find maximum instructions?
Surah-al-Baqarah (chapter 2)
76) When and Where did the Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and Jibraeel (Alaihis-salaam) meet for the second time?
On Friday, 18th Ramadan, in the Cave of Hira
77) What was the interval between the first and the second revelation?
2 years and six months
78) Which is the Surah (Chapter) that does not start with Bismillah?
Surah-al-Taubah (chapter 9) [Surah 9 entitled ‘At-Tauba’ or ‘repentance’, exposes the true qualities of the hypocrites and threatens them with a woeful doom. It can be likened to a stern warning made in the strongest terms. Hence, an opening, which stresses divine mercy and compassion, does not seem particularly fitting to the subject matter of the Surah. Therefore, Allah has not started with the phrase you have mentioned which begins every other Surah in the Qur’an. To recite this phrase at its beginning is forbidden because it constitutes an addition to the Qur’an which is not part of it.]
79) In which Surah (Chapter) of the Qur’an Bismillah is repeated twice?
Surah-al Naml (chapter 27) [One in the beginning (verse 1) and other in the middle (verse 30)]
80) How many Surah (Chapter) in the Qur’an have the titles named after different Prophets?
6 Surahs (Chapters):
a) Surah-al-Yunus (chapter 10)
b) Surah-al-Hood (chapter 11)
c) Surah-al-Yusuf (chapter 12)
d) Surah-al-Ibraheem (chapter 14)
e) Surah-al-Nuh (chapter 71)
f) Surah-al-Muhammed (chapter 47)
81) In which part of the Qur’an do you find ‘Ayat-ul-Kursi’ (Verse of the Throne)?
Surat Al-Baqarah [2:255]
82) How many different names of Allah are mentioned in the Qur’an?
99 Names (visit 99 Names of Allah)
83) Who were the three non-prophets whose names are mentioned with due respect in the Qur’an?
Luqman, Aziz of Egypt and Zulqarnain
84) At the time Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu) how many companions had compiled the Qur’an in the form of a book?
85) Which is the only book which is completely memorized by millions of people in the world?
86) What did the Jinns who heard a few Aayaath (Verses) of the Qur’an say to each other?
We have heard a unique discourse which shows the right path, verily we believe in it.
87) Which are the most popular translations of the Qur’an in English?
Transalation by Muhammed Marmaduke Pickthall and by Allama Yusuf Ali.
88) Into how many languages of the world has the Holy Qur’an been transalated?
Over 100 languages !
89) How many prophets by name are mentioned in the Qur’an?
90) What will be our condition on ‘The day of the Judgement’ according to the Qur’an?
Everybody will be in a state of anxiety.
91) Who was the Prophet mentioned in the Qur’an whose three generations were prophets?
92) What is that book which abolished all old rules and regulations?
93) What does the Qur’an say about property and wealth?
They are tests of ones faith [2:155]
94) According to the Qur’an who is “khaatamun Nabiyyeen” (the last of the Prophets)?
Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
95) What is the name of the book that tells us clearly about the reality of the beginningand the end of the world?
96) In the Qur’an what other name is given to the city of Makkah?
Bakkah and Baladul Ameen
97) According to the Qur’an what other name is given to the city of Madinah?
98) Whose Generation is known as “Bani Israeel” according to the Qur’an?
The generation of Prophet Yaqoob (Alaihis salaam) who is also known as Israeel.
99) Which are the masjids that are mentioned in the Qur’an?
e) Masjid Quba
100) The name of which angels are mentioned in the Qur’an?
a) Jibraeel (Alaihis salaam) [2:98]
b) Meekaeel (Alaihis salaam) [2:98]
c) Haroot (Alaihis salaam) [2:102]
d) Maroot (Alaihis salaam) [2:102]
e) Maalik (Alaihis salaam) [43:77]