Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) recommended us to break fasting during Ramadan (iftar) with dates. Research study has proven that having dates after fasting has got great benefits for our nutrition and health!
Following are the 6 health benefits of eating dates after fasting:
- Dates are easy to digest so they don’t exhaust the fasting person stomach.
- Dates decrease the great hunger feeling of the fasting person and so he doesn’t rush into excessive food eating which causes digestion disorders.
- Dates prepare the stomach to receive the food after being inactive through out the day with activating the release of digestive secretions and juices.
- Dates are very rich with sugary energy and so the body is supplied with the most important nutrients which is sugar that is irreplaceable as a nutrient for the brain cells and nerves.
- Dates protect the fasting person from having constipation as a result of changing meals times or as a result of having low fiber amounts in meals.
- The alkaline salts in dates adjust the acidity of blood which result from excessiveness eating of meat and carbohydrates which causes a lot of hereditary diseases as diabetes, gout, renal stones, gall bladder inflammations, high blood pressure and hemorrhoids).
We know that whatever Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) recommend us to do are from Allah SWT, our Creator who knows what is good and bad for a human body! If we fully follow the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in all aspects of life, health benefits is just one of the numerous benefits we are going to have insha Allah. Islam is indeed the beautiful way of life! 🙂
Extra: Other Health Benefits of Dates
In Surah Maryam [19:25], Quran says that when the mother of Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) was giving birth to him and she was experiencing pain, she was told by the Allah; “shake the trunk of the palm towards you and fresh, ripe dates will drop down onto you.”
Scientific studies have shown that eating dates are beneficial for pregnant women and nursing mothers. Dates contain certain stimulants which assist in the strengthening of the muscles of the womb which can lead to an easier delivery. The sugar content of dates is about 80% making it an ideal high energy food for nursing mothers. “Dates contain seven vitamins and eleven minerals whose importance as a dietary supplement was appreciated by the desert people who, for thousands of years, ate dates with goat or camel milk as a complete sustenance.”
Dates are also reported to be useful in the treatment of respiratory disorders, heart conditions, cancer (due to its high magnesium and calcium content), anemia, allergies, and constipation. Bedouin Arabs, who eat them on a regular basis, show an extremely low incidence rate of cancer and heart disease.
In addition to being mentioned in numerous verses throughout the Quran there are many hadiths from the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) about the dates.
It was reported by Abu Naaim, Abu Daoud, Al Hakem, Al Imam Al Tirmithi and mentioned in The book of Al Imam Al Thahabi “The Prophetic Medicine” that the Prophet (PBUH) said: “ The one who eats 7 dates in the morning will be protected that day from poison and envy”
The Prophet (PBUH) said: “Break your fast by eating dates as it is purifying.” (Narrated by Ahmad)
From the Quran:
And in the earth are neighbouring tracts, and gardens of vines, and green crops (fields etc.), and date-palms, growing out two or three from a single stem root, or otherwise (one stem root for every palm ), watered with the same water, yet some of them We make more excellent than others to eat. Verily, in these things, there are Ayât (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs) for the people who understand. [Quran 13:4]
From the Hadith:
Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said: the prophet (PBUH) said: “Indeed in dates there is a cure”. [Reported by Muslim (14/3) and Ahmad (6/152)]
The Prophet (PBUH) said: “Whoever finds dates should break his fast with them and the one who does not should break his fast with water because it is pure”
6 Health Benefits: The research of date’s benefits, prepared by nutrition department of hospitals administration – Health Ministry in Kuwait.
Other Health Benefits: http://ageofjahiliyah.wordpress.com/2006/10/05/health-benefits-of-dates/