By Bint Ambeyi.
How do I know if Allah loves me? This is a common question among those who seek to earn the pleasure of Allah and ultimately achieve entrance into Jannah. For sure, there is no precise way that we can use to tell if Allah loves a slave as it falls in the matters of the ghayb. We only depend on signs from the ayat of Allah to measure if we are from amongst those whom He loves.
- If you find yourself in constant mention of Allah in your thoughts and actions. This could be a sign. In a hadith Qudsi, Allah says, ‘if my slave mentions me to himself I mention him to myself ’. There are many ways which we can do this as taught by our beloved Rasulullah. This involves making adhkaar [words of remembrance].
- If you hold fast to the book of Allah. Know that the Qur’aan is the direct speech of Allah and whenever you recite, you are reciting the words of your Lord. Allah will make it easy for you to recite, memorize and act upon with sincerity His book when He loves you.
- If you have a sincere love for those whom Allah loves. For example the anbiyaa, the shuhadaa, and the righteous of His slaves among angels and mankind. Read through the biographies of those whom the love of Allah was manifested for example Prophet Ibrahim and Prophet Muhammad [Alayhimu salaat wa salaam] etc. Rasulullah said, ‘a person will be with those whom he loves’ this is in regards with tomorrow in the aakhira. On the same note, your friends and companions should be people who are watchful of the love of Allah.
- Allah will make easy for you acts of ibada which are ordinarily not practiced by most people. In essence, you reap more reward and at the same time fix the condition of your soul for the pleasure of your Rabb. Allah gives you an unquenched thirst for more ibada with sincere intentions with hope and fear for Him.
- If you find yourself on constant reproach of your soul. Nafsil-lawwama is good for the slave of Allah in this duniya and not for the aakhira. This means, you are taking account of your-self for your bad deeds before the day of accounts reach.
It is in the best of our interests not to be under those whom Allah says; ‘…and shaytaan has beautified for them their evil deeds…’ [surat an Nahl 63] may Allah safeguard us.
- If you don’t feel safe from the punishment of Allah no matter how many good deeds you have done. This is because you do not know whether Allah has accepted them or not. It helps you to purify your intentions and we know that only the good deeds done with proper procedure and intentions are best.
Allah is Al- Mujeeb [The Answerer]. We should make du’a for everything including his love. The best guidance is the guidance of Rasulullah. He taught us to say the following dua;
‘Allahumma inna nas’aluka hubbak, wa hubba man yuhibbuk. Wa hubba `amalin yuqarribuna ila hubbik’
[oh Allah I ask you for your love, and the love of those whom you love and the love of those actions which will bring me closer to your love].
Any good from this article is from Allah and any evil is from the shaytaan and myself. May Allah forgive our short-comings in practicing His deen.
Wa billahi tawfeeq.